Sunday, March 7, 2010

Busted!

You know those times when as a parent you are out-of-the-blue BUSTED in the eyes of your 6-year-old? The big brown eyes get bigger, brows furrow searching yours for truth, and then... the slight nod of, "...oh, I see how it is."

{And no, this has nothing to do with the Big Guy in the red suit.}

It has to do with cereal. And reading.

I am a fan or reading. I really am. But sometimes when our little darlings start to read--we get busted.

It all started out one morning, when I rattled out the cereal choices: Cheerios, Frosted Mini-Wheats, Rice Krispies...

Lilly picked Frosted Mini-Wheats and tried out her new-found rite of passage. Reading the cereal box.

"Frosted Mini-Wh--...Spooners???"

(See above for facial expression)

Then came my explanation-- "Well, you see, these are supposed to taste LIKE Frosted Mini Wheats, and I think they taste better-- it is just that a different company makes them."

She ate with skepticism. Her world just got a little less rosy. Oh, why doesn't Malt-o-Meal advertise??

(and for the record--they DO taste better)


4 comments:

Yvonne said...

Love it. It is so fun to watch them learn--well, SOMETIMES ; )

Rochelleht said...

That's one of the best generics. Honey Nut Cheerios have to be real and Honey Bunches of Oats, but Frosted Mini-Wheats by any other name still taste as sweet.

Anonymous said...

Aurora, this made me laugh! Oh the things we get away with!!

Rochelle, I completely agree!

Katrina said...

This is the point where I start pointing out the price difference when we're at the grocery store. If they want to pay the difference with their allowance, they can go right ahead! Though, no one has offered to do that yet!

My only question is about Frosted Flakes. Why don't they have to change it?