I can't believe that it is 2008!
I remember when I was a little girl and using all of my math powers to figure out that I would be a whopping 31 years old in the 'Year 2000." It sounded so far out there, and I thought that I would be an old lady!
Now we are just 2 years away from the 'space odyssey' year of 2010. Unbelievable.
So, it is both comforting and disappointing to know that not much has changed, and then again everything has changed in the 'new milennium.'
I remember when the pocket calculator was invented. (my kids laugh at this)
I remember seeing the rooms full of computers on tv and being told that one day there would be a computer in every home. No one believed it, I mean who has that kind of room?
I remember going to the computer lab to type out papers in college and printing them out with the lovely dot matrix printer-- yes, I am aware that most of my audience isn't quite sure what that is... but maybe there are a few out there who are dinosaurs like me.
Our first video game system was ATARI and we absolutely loved PONG. I mean, get a load of those graphics!
I remember when the key fob was a novelty, no, a LUXURY.
When I was a kid, we just bounced around the car on road trips. There were no seatbelts in back seats.
Back in the Stone Age, we would run around the neighborhood for the entire day and our only rule was to come in when the street lights came on. If mom pulled out the whistle because you hadn't shown up yet, then you were in BIG trouble.
Our first cell phone was the thickness of a few decks of cards.
I think this might actually be it. It was the first 'flip phone'. Very cool. Our kids laugh at this, too.
But some things haven't really changed.
Kids still mimick daily life in their play. There are a few differences, though. When my older two girls played 'telephone', they would stand it up on the table or pretend to hang it on the wall when they were through. My younger kids, however stick it in their pocket or purse!
Kids still try to pull the wool over their parents' eyes, but now we are the ones with eyes in the backs of our heads. I didn't even notice them growing there!
Technology still dates us. I mean, Maddy's first cell phone didn't even have a camera, hello! Wait till she tells that one to her kids!
Girls still hang posters of hearthrobs in their rooms. They get giddy as they get ready for dances, and can talk and giggle into the wee hours of the morning. (can you tell that we just had a house full of giggling teenage girls here last night getting ready for the New Year's Eve dance and then talking about the results of said dance for hours?)
So the point of this post? None really. I am just amazed at the year. This is the year that I turn 40. The year that I would be really old according to the childhood me. And it is here.
Bring It On!
8 comments:
Awesome post! I can so totally relate. We had an Atari and we thought it was the height of technology. The whole staying out all day thing? Totally us. We went all over town and I'm sure my mom had no idea where we were half the time. We went on trips in our station wagon and never wore seatbelts. I mentioned that one day and my son asked me what a station wagon was! I had to try and find a picture for him.
I actually took typing classes in high school. They didn't offer a computer class until I was a senior and we used those first Macs. My 6 year old knows more about computers now, than I did at 18! I think I still have class papers that were printed on dot matrix printers...
Totally fun post! Totally cracked me up! I wonder what our kids will be saying about the old technology they grew up with?
I love it! I think that's such a great idea for a post. I didn't even use a computer in college until my last year or two. And it was WAY easier to be a parent when we were kids. Hello!? How nice would it be to send our kids out for the day only to return with the sound of our whistle? What did our parents do all day? Hmmm... maybe prepare meals from scratch because there weren't the conveniences of today?
Great post and fun to go down memory lane. I remember when email first came out! Now I can't imagine my life without the internet! I wonder what our kids will be saying when they are older?
Aurora...you are only as old as you act, feel, and your friends. I, prefer to think that I'm still in my 20's. I guess the fact that I knew everything you were talking about tells the truth about me! Oh well, wishful thinking. 25 and holding forever!
These are wonderful observations and reflections of my youth as well!!! I love looking back and seeing how far we have come - how much better some things are today!
It's very nice to meet you. I hope it's the best year ever - for all of us and I hope to see you again soon. Kellan
haha that was fun to read. You are a cool dinosaur though, because I really like your play list of music! I can't believe you're going to be 40, not that that's old at ALL, but you just don't look it lady!
*I made a new blog for you!! It's a cute vintage one with your blog title. It's a template I made for a few friends. I thought it would be cute on yours too, I put in your fam. pics you emailed me. I need to stop by your house some evening without my kids and put it on your computer with you logged into blogger.
Great post! I remember the computer room from the "Computer Wore Tennis Shoes." Loved that movie! I'm a little younger, but my fam was slow to get on the technology bandwagon so we are probably really on the same plane. Cute Chrsitmas pics too!
Post a Comment