Monday, October 1, 2007

A Time for Spooks



Here is one of our favorite family crafts. They are fun to make and they look great. And yes, this is an old picture... but I miss those days when the girls were smaller than me!

Cheesecloth Ghost

Materials

* Cheesecloth
* White sugar
* Warm water
* Bowl
* Wiggle eyes
* Scissors, balloon, large cup or jar

General Instructions

* Make a mixture of sugar and water. Put in sugar first—a whole bag to make multiple ghosts. Add water until it is a thick, watery paste. While sugar is dissolving, make a form for your ghost. I use a large plastic cup with a balloon in the top.
* Once sugar has completely dissolved soak pieces of cheesecloth in mixture. Remove and drape over "ghost form".
* Allow to dry a minimum of overnight. May take longer.
* Once dry remove form from underneath. Your ghost should be quite firm.
* Glue on wiggle eyes
* These make great Halloween decorations for dinner tables, at your doorway or on your desk.

7 comments:

Rochelleht said...

I must admit that I hate doing crafts with my kids, but I think I may just have to break down and do this one. I know they would love it and then I wouldn't feel like a flunky mom.

irbuanosraL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
irbuanosraL said...

momintx said...
What a cute picture of your kids, and I love your ghosts! So, what is cheesecloth? And where do you get it? I think I need to copy you and make a cute all boy and 1 girl ghost family. Fun fun!

Have a good day~Aubri

**I will call you later about YW, is it the same as on the calendar?**
That delete was just me, I didn't mean to post under my dorky sign mom blog name earlier.

Julie said...

This is the kind of craft my kids could really get into. We love spooky stuff at our house. Thanks for the great idea.

Anonymous said...

Those are great!! How awesome.

Michelle said...

That looks like a really cute and fun craft. Thanks for sharing!

aurora said...

Cheesecloth is available in the grocery store near all kitchen gadgets and/or canning supplies.